News Feed | RSS News feed

Armagh Senior League A 2020
St Patrick's14100420
Armagh Harps1490518
Pearse Og1470714
Wolfe Tones1421115

As at 10/20/2016 2:52:41 AM
Detailed Table & All Results

Senior match reports 2003

25 September 2003

Win maintains Maghery's push for promotion

15 Aug 2003

Maghery registered another home win on Friday night as they convincingly overcame Carrickcruppin. The Loughshore men had a promising opening as they put early scores on the board from Seamus Forker, Eamon Robinson and Kieran Rafferty. Conor Forker added to the scoreboard with a 1st half goal to leave the half time score 1-6 to 0-3.

Maghery stepped up a gear in the second half with Eamon Toye, Gavin Fox and Stephen Cusack controlling the full-back line and Stephen Nugent along with Conor Mackle attacking, the Loughshore men increased their lead. A goal from Eamon Robinson and further points from James Lavery and Kieran Rafferty put Maghery in the driving seat.

The deficit could have been more only for the Cruppin keeper, who pulled off some fine saves. From an interception in the full-back line Maghery worked the ball up the field with some slick passes where some excellent scores were taken.

Maghery wrapped up the match with a brilliant goal from Conor Mackle which ensured a comfortable victory. Final score Maghery 3-13 to Carrickcruppin 0-6. Once again this was a fine team performance and the lads will hope to keep this good form up for their remaining league games.

Maghery continue good league form with an away win over Whitecross
01 August 2003

Maghery’s latest league challenge was against Whitecross in Newtownhamilton on Friday night. In the first half, Maghery registered scores from Kieran Rafferty, Eamon Robinson and Seamus Forker, as well as successful efforts from father and son duo Dermie & Conor Forker.

With the defence playing well and Maghery keeper Dermot Fox saving a penalty, the Loughshore men went in at half time leading 0:10 to 1:02. Maghery kept up the momentum in the second half with further scores from Seamus Forker, Kieran Robinson & Aidan Cusack Final score Whitecross 1-08 v Maghery 0-18.

Team effort sees Maghery through to Final
27 July 2003

Maghery faced Ballymacnab in the semi-final of the Intermediate Championship last Sunday (July 27) in Blackwatertown. The Loughshore men opened the scoring when Kieran Rafferty collected possession in half back and played the ball to Stephen Nugent who laid the ball off to Seamus Forker to score Maghery’s first point.

Paul Forker added to Maghery’s tally before Ballymacnab struck back with a score from a free. Seamus Forker, who scored 1-07 in all, added another point following a pass from Eamon Robinson. Ballymacnab fought hard and about mid way through the first half registered their first goal from a sideline ball dropped into the square.

Rather than dampen Maghery’s spirits, this only proved to make the lads more determined. With points from Kieran Rafferty & Seamus Forker, Maghery began to pull in front again. Maghery’s first goal came when Kieran Rafferty in the half back line laid the ball off to Paul Forker who made no mistake and drove the ball into the net.

The second followed soon after from a free kick by Seamus Forker that was lobbed in dangerously and fumbled by the Ballymacnab goalkeeper. It was Forker again who registered Maghery’s next score, Joe Fox cleanly catching the ball in midfield and laying off to the quick footed forward. With the defence and midfield on top of their game and the forwards on target, Maghery led at the break by 2-07 to 1-01.

Maghery maintained the momentum into the second half, opening with points from substitute Seamy McConville (on for Paul Forker) and Seamus Forker. Ballymacnab fought back with another point, only to have Maghery answer with two, one from Seamy McConville and the other from the ever reliable Eamon Robinson. Ballymacnab fought hard to the end, scoring their second goal with about five minutes to go. However it was Maghery who registered the final score of the game, substitute Kieran Robinson flicking the ball on to Conor Forker, who sealed Maghery’s victory with their 13th point.

This was a well deserved victory by Maghery in a hard hitting but sporting game. Maghery GFC would like to take this opportunity to wish a speedy recovery to the Ballymacnab player who was injured during Sunday’s game. Details of the Championship final will follow shortly.

League victory for Maghery over Collegeland
18 July 2003

Maghery continued their league campaign with another win, this time away to Collegeland last Friday night. Maghery stamped their authority on the game from the very start, registering early points from Kieran Rafferty, Kieran ‘Pudgie’ Robinson and Eamon Robinson. Further points from Kieran Robinson stretched Maghery’s lead before the home side registered their first score.

After the break Maghery defenders Gavin Fox, Conor Mackle & Stevie McConville Jnr continued to work tirelessly, and with the midfield tracking back, managed to keep the Collegeland attack at bay. The homeside kept plucking away at the Loughshore men’s lead and reduced the deficit to four points with about 20 minutes to go. Maghery’s Kieran Rafferty cleared a goal-line shot and the clearance move up the field saw Maghery awarded a free which Eamon Robinson converted. Maghery stepped up their game with the midfield winning the battle for possession and with Joe Forker, Kieran Robinson & Eamon Robinson causing the home defence all sorts of problems.

Three more points from Kieran Rafferty once again increased Maghery’s lead, the pick of them coming from a placed free kick in the midfield area which was expertly curled over the bar. The only goal of the game came from a move starting with a save by Maghery goalkeeper Dermot Fox. Joe Fox gathered possession in the backline, ran the length of the field and laid the ball off to Seamy McConville, who tucked the ball into the corner of the net. In the later stages of the game Joe Fox added a point of his own to leave the full time score Maghery 1:12, Collegeland 0:10.

This was another deserved victory for the Loughshore men and once again a great team performance. Maghery also played St Pauls of Lurgan during the week. Maghery played well considering the blustery conditions, the game ending in a draw.

Maghery advance to championship semi-final
04 July 2003

Maghery Sean McDermotts secured their place in the semi-final of the Intermediate Championship by convincingly beating St Peters of Lurgan in Portadown last Friday night. Maghery got off to a perfect start when Gavin Fox was brought down in the square and awarded a penaltly, which Conor Forker converted. Maghery kept the pressure on and with some great attacking football, went ahead with points from Seamus Forker, James Lavery and Eamon Robinson. The Peters’ men fought hard to keep the deficit to a minimum, the half time score Maghery 1:07, St Peters 0:05.

Maghery started the second half brightly, the defence working tirelessly. Midfield partners Joe Fox and Paul McNamee dominated their Lurgan counterparts, adding three great points to the Maghery tally. The forward line also did their duty effectively, Seamus Forker causing all sorts of problems for the Peters’ defence with scores from both frees and from play. Peters battled hard and pulled a few points back but with the Loughshore men putting in a great team performance, the score with 10 minutes remaining was Maghery 1:10, St Peters 0:08. In the closing minutes of the match, the defence cleared a Peters’ attack and laid the ball off to midfielder Joe Fox, who converted two brilliant long range points.

Maghery were deserved winners, with all positions working hard to ensure an impressive team victory. Final score Maghery 1:13, St Peters 0:08. Preparations are now underway for the semi-final, which is due to take place in two weeks. Details of opposition, venue and time will follow as soon as possible.

ACL DIV 2 - KEADY 0-10 v MAGHERY 1-08
Maghery continue good league form
22 June 2003

The Loughshore men were deserving victors for the second time last weekend in a hard fought match against Keady on Sunday. Maghery went into an early lead with points from Seamus and Paul Forker. With the defence working tirelessly, Maghery looked in control but still Keady kept picking off scores from frees, which left the half time score Maghery 0:05, Keady 0:04.

Both teams started brightly in the second half and with points from Niall, Seamus and Paul Forker, Maghery pulled ahead. Although Keady lifted their game with 10 minutes to go, the Maghery defence withstood the pressure with Stephen Cusack, Paul McNamee, Stephen Nugent, Eamon Robinson and Kieran Convie all working hard to keep any attempt at goal at bay. Keady tried continuously for an equaliser but a point from Conor Forker kept the minimum between the teams.
Final score Maghery 0:10, Keady 0:09.

Maghery’s next ACL Division 2 League match will be against Armagh Harps in Felix Hamil Park, Maghery on Sunday 29th June at 2.00pm.

Maghery outclass Carrickcruppin in championship
20 June 2003

The postponed first round clash between Maghery and Carrickcruppin took place on Friday night in the Athletic Grounds, Armagh. In a game somewhat tainted by bad official decisions and off-the-ball antics by Carrickcruppin, Maghery outshone, outclassed and outplayed both to advance to the next round of the Intermediate Championship.

Carrickcruppin had the best start, registering the first two points of the match. Maghery suffered an early setback when Don Laverty was stretchered off in the opening minutes. Spirits still not dampened, the Loughshore men turned on the style in a move involving Conor Mackle, Paul McNamee and Conor Forker; who drove home Maghery’s first goal to put Maghery ahead 1:00 to 0:02. Further scores from Seamus Forker, Kieran Rafferty and Seamus McConville saw Maghery pull ahead by 1:03 to 0:02. Carrickcruppin attempted a comeback with a shot on goal, Maghery captain Eamon Toye denying the effort with a vital block in the square. Towards the end of the first half, ‘Cruppin registered another 3 points, one from a free awarded against Kieran Rafferty, wrongly booked for an obvious fair shoulder. Paul McNamee popped over Maghery’s last point of the half to leave the score at the interval Maghery 1:04, ‘Cruppin 0:06.

The second half opened with tit for tat scoring, 2 from Carrickcruppin and two from Maghery’s Seamus Forker. Early into the half, Maghery launched a series of attacks that were to seal the match. Midfielder Joe Fox cleanly caught the ball from the ‘Cruppin kick out, and from an impressive long range shot, popped the ball over the bar. Maghery were straight on the attack again, Seamus Forker denied a goal by a save from the ‘Cruppin goalkeeper, only for substitute Gavin Fox to mark his introduction to the game by slotting home Maghery’s second goal. ‘Cruppin had a goal disallowed for being a square ball. The Loughshore men replied with a great accurate pass from Stephen Cusack in the half back line into the hands of Paul Forker, who from the 45 yard line, cut through the Carrickcruppin defence to hammer home Maghery’s third.

This ‘Cruppin team lacked discipline from the outset, culminating in a skirmish on the Maghery half back line when an attack was once again foiled by Maghery’s solid defence. The result of this was one Carrickcruppin player and Maghery’s Kieran Rafferty being wrongly singled out in a much too late attempt to restore order. Both players were sent off. The game continued with 14 men a piece, ‘Cruppin scoring three points from play in what would be their last attempt at a comeback. Late into the half, Eamon Robinson was struck in what was one of many off-the-ball Carrickcruppin fouls, the officials choosing to ignore the incident. Maghery and Eamon Robinson answered back in the most effective way, registering another point and duly bowing to the ‘Cruppin support. Conor Forker popped over another lovely score to seal this well deserved victory for Maghery. Final score Maghery 3:09, Carrickcruppin 0:11, a seven point win for the Loughshore men.

Maghery Sean McDermotts wish the Senior management team and players all the best of luck for the next round of the Championship against St Peter’s. All club members and locals are encouraged to come along to the next round to show their support for the team. Details of the venue, date and time of the next round will be given at a later date.

Maghery victory echoes well for championship
01 June 2003

On Sunday past, Maghery secured another away victory, this time against South Armagh rivals Carrickcruppin. Despite the awful weather conditions, Maghery had the brighter start, going ahead 0-04 to 0-01, courtesy of Seamus Forker and James Lavery points. Just before half time Maghery took a hard blow as the home side registered their only goal to leave the sides level at 0-06 to 1-03 at the break.

In the second half Cruppin added more points to the board but Maghery raised their game accordingly. With the backs defending well, the midfield sector working hard and the forwards causing all sorts of problems, Seamus Forker slotted home Maghery’s only goal, followed by points from him and substitute Niall Forker. Carrickcruppin did not lie down, registering another three points from frees. However, Maghery’s goalkeeper Kieran Fox pulled off a brilliant save with only minutes to go, securing a victory for the loughshore men.

Final score Maghery 1-09, Carrickcruppin 1-08. This victory echoes well for the upcoming Championship clash against Carrickcruppin on Sunday 15th June.

Maghery overcome Ballyhegan in local derby
25 May 2003

Although the two teams play together as the successful ‘Shamrocks’ at underage level, at Senior level followers of Gaelic football could not ask for a more competitive local derby than Maghery and Ballyhegan, and last Sunday’s game was no exception.

Ballyhegan had the better start, pulling ahead by three points before Paul McNamee registered Maghery’s first score, the result of a move incorporating Paul Rafferty, Conor Forker & Eamon Robinson.

Gerard Campbell added his name to the score-sheet, and Seamus Forker, who scored an impressive overall total of nine points, popped over three great points to make the scores level at 0-05 each.

Maghery were awarded a penalty just before half time, Conor Forker converting the chance to make the half time score Maghery 1-05 Ballyhegan 0-06. The second half saw more scores from Conor Forker and Seamus Forker, before a goal and a point from Ballyhegan brought the teams to within one point of each other at 1-08 to 1-07.

Maghery showed the greatest determination of the two teams towards the end of the game, Seamus Forker impressively slotting over five points consecutively and team captain Eamon Toye making two vital clearances from the back line to deny Ballyhegan any chance of a comeback.

Final score Maghery 1-13 Ballyhegan 1-08.

Silverbridge edge out Maghery
13 March 2003

The large crowd in attendance for the official opening and blessing of Felix Hamill Park were treated to an absorbing and exciting game of football as Maghery entertained Silverbridge in an ACL division 2 clash. The game started at a frenetic, championship-like, pace with the opening exchanges setting the tone for the quality game that lay in store.

Maghery raced into an early lead with points from Conor Forker, Kieran Rafferty (a 45 conversion) and Seamus McConville (free kick). Damian McCann and Cormac McEvoy raised the white flag at the other end for Silverbridge. Maghery’s Joe Fox and Silverbridge’s Jarlath Burns were have an intriguing battle for midfield supremacy, with both players displaying great athleticism and no small measure of skill as they ably demonstrated the art of the high catch.

Further points were exchanged, Maghery landing fine points from a Seamus Forker free kick, a superb Joe Fox effort and another Seamus Forker free kick, while it was again the accuracy of the lively Damian McCann that kept Silverbridge in touch. Gerard Campbell replaced Colum Tennyson in the Maghery half back line.

Further points from Seamus McConville, Kieran Rafferty (free kick) and Joe Fox left Maghery in a comfortable, although far from commanding, position as the first half drew to a close. However, Silverbridge were to find the Maghery net with a well finished goal that came against the run of play. Silverbridge were awarded a dubious free kick in midfield. The free was taken quickly as a high ball was sent in to the Maghery goal area. The Maghery full back line failed to deal with the high ball and Aidan Crummie found himself in possession behind the Maghery defence with all the time in the world to coolly slot the ball past Tony Fox, who was given no chance of making the save.

Half-time: Maghery 0-10 Silverbridge 1-05

Both teams resumed the second half in positive fashion. Another fine point from the inform Seamus McConville extended Maghery’s lead, Bernard Connolly responded with a point for Silverbridge and the south Armagh men followed this up with a good point from Cormac McEvoy to leave just a point between the teams. Eamon Robinson replaced Kieran Convie in the Maghery full forward line - his introduction sparked a new lease of life into a flagging Maghery attack.

Seamus Forker, Kieran Rafferty and Seamus Forker added three points for Maghery without reply. Stephen Nugent replaced Gerard Campbell in the Maghery defence. Aidan Crummie added another point for Silverbridge. Maghery goal keeper Tony Fox was injured making a save and was replaced by Kieran Fox.

Then came the score that was to have a huge bearing on the final result. After another fine catch, Jarlath Burns launched the ball into Maghery box and once again Aidan Crummie was on hand to finish it to the Maghery net and leave the teams level – Maghery 0-14 Silverbridge 2-8.

Silverbridge quickly followed this up with another point to give them a lead they scarcely deserved. Seamus Forker pointed to put Maghery back on level terms. As Maghery pressed hard to break down a resolute Silverbridge defence, Damian McCann scored a point on the break to restore Silverbridge’s one point advantage. With the game well in injury time Seamus Forker sent over another great point that seemed destined to give Maghery a share of the points. However play continued and Aidan Crummie, who had been simply superb for Silverbridge throughout, sent over the winning point deep into injury time.

The final blast of the referee’s whistle called proceedings to a halt and Silverbridge had sneaked a victory by the narrowest of margins. It was a disappointing result for a gallant Maghery team, keen to mark the official opening of Felix Hamill Park with a win.

Final Score: Maghery 0-16 Silverbridge 2-11

Maghery start new season with a win
31 March 2003

The Maghery senior team, under new manager Jim Robinson, started the 2003 All County League in positive fashion with a hard earned, but fully deserved, win over Keady. In a game that was nip-and-tuck all the way, it was Maghery’s superior ability to make the most of scoring opportunities that was to prove decisive.

James Lavery opened Maghery’s account, getting on the end of high ball in from a Seamus Forker free kick to flick the ball to the Keady net. Maghery then added 2 further points before Keady got off the mark. Maghery lost Eamon Moore midway though the first half as result of an accidental clash with a Keady player, he was replaced by Colum Tennyson.

As the first half entered the final few minutes, Maghery keeper Kieran Fox was alert to a ball that had dropped into the Maghery box. After doing all the hard work, an unfortunate slip by the keeper gifted a goal to Keady. Keady finished the half strongly, adding to their tally and went in at the break with a one point advantage.

As they had in the first half, Maghery started the second half positively. Kieran Rafferty (who had replaced Stephen Nugent) and Joe Fox were winning good possession in midfield, and their clever distribution to the hard working forwards was causing the Keady defence all sorts of trouble.

Midway through the second half Keady were reduced to 14 men, having a player dismissed for a second bookable offence. As is so often the case, the team with the numeric disadvantage lifted their game. John Toal began to have a greater effect for the visitors and Keady moved in to a two point lead. Replacement Maghery net minder Tony Fox, a second half substitute, pulled off a brilliant point blank save to deny Keady what seemed a certain goal. Further Keady pressure came to nothing as they wasted several scoring opportunities.

Maghery began to make their extra man count and after a brace of points were back on level terms. The game was balanced at 1-10 a piece entering the final few minutes. A free flowing Maghery move culminated in a delightful Conor Forker point that was to prove the final and decisive score of the match. In injury time Keady were reduced to 13 men after a reckless and wholly unnecessary challenge on Maghery’s Colum Tennyson - the Keady defender getting a straight red card for his moment of madness. Final score Maghery 1-11 Keady 1-10. The next senior league match will be against Armagh Harps next Wednesday evening.


© 1997 - 2012 Maghery GFC. All rights reserved.
Site design by www.kevincorr.com