News Feed | RSS News feed

Armagh Senior League A 2020
St Patrick's14100420
Armagh Harps1490518
Pearse Og1470714
Wolfe Tones1421115

As at 10/20/2016 2:52:41 AM
Detailed Table & All Results

Maghery force Killeavy to rue missed opportunities

29 August 2007

Killeavy 0-10 Maghery 0-12

Newry Democrat, August 22 2007

KILLEAVY kicked themselves out of the Armagh senior championship after a speedy and slick Maghery side proved too elusive.

Armagh's Steven McDonnell and Louth's Mark Stanfield accounted for all of Killeavy's scores but still McDonnell missed a first half penalty, which would have made the difference.

Stanfield almost grabbed a classy winner when deep into injury-time his stinging shot narrowly avoided the top corner of the net to go agonizingly wide.

Maghery dominated proceedings with county lad James Lavery dominant in midfield but it was the Forker clan that did the damage.

Seamus, Stefan, Conor and Paul Forker scored nine out of 12 points for the north Armagh side.

With 20 minutes gone the sides were level on four points each. Killeavy's full forward almost had a goal but for a brilliant timely block form Eamon Toye just as Seamus Toner was about to pull the trigger. Interestingly, Maghery were awarded a free kick from a tight angle and they brought on substitute Eamon Cusack for Paul Rafferty. Cusack converted then jogged back to the bench where Rafferty came back on.

Then just before the break Toner was bundled over in the square after good work from the Louth midfielder. But McDonnell's resultant penalty was tame and Maghery keeper Kieran Fox made a comfortable save.

Half Time Score: Killeavy 0-05 Maghery 0-06

With only a minute of the restart gone Killeavy's Karl O'Hare received a second yellow card and the south Armagh men were down to 14 men.

Maghery had their tails up and they raced into a 0-10 to 0-05 lead. But after McDonnell and Stanfield received yellow cards they seemed to galvanise Killeavy and the south Armagh played quality football. McDonnell converted five frees in a row in 11 minutes to level the score and Stanfield had a chance to put his side in front an missed.

As Maghery blew a sigh of relief Eamon Robinson delivered a 40-metre beauty between the posts to record their first score in 20 minutes. Seamus Forker added another point to stretch the lead and it proved enough to send Maghery through to the semi finals.

Killeavy: Blaine Crummy, Conor Quinn, Finbar Mallon, Karl O'Hare, Gary Reel, Liam O'Hare, Paddy Donnelly, James Duffy, Paul Watters, Stephen Malone, Raymond Taggart, Mark Stanfield (0-3, 1 free), Adrian Doran, Steven McDonnell (0-6, all frees) and Seamus Toner. Subs used: Anthony O'Hare and Gerard Byrne.

Maghery: Kieran Fox, Gerard Campbell, Eamon Toye, Stephen Cusack, Seamus Forker (0-2), Conor Mackle, Niall Forker, James Lavery (0-1), Stefan Forker (0-5, 3 frees), Eamon Robinson (0-2), Kieran Rafferty, Paul Rafferty, Conor Forker (0-1), Joe Fox and Paul Forker (0-1). Sub used: Paul Forker.


© 1997 - 2012 Maghery GFC. All rights reserved.
Site design by www.kevincorr.com