News Feed | RSS News feed

Armagh Senior League A 2020
St Patrick's14100420
Armagh Harps1490518
Pearse Og1470714
Wolfe Tones1421115

As at 10/20/2016 2:52:41 AM
Detailed Table & All Results

Harps snatch victory from Maghery

10 April 2006

Maghery narrowly missed out on registering their second league victory last Sunday after defeat by Armagh Harps. Maghery had the brighter start, Stefan Forker causing the Harps defence much bother by popping over three unanswered scores.

The visitors pointed two frees before Forker produced an excellent score from a long range free kick. The Harps had a clear chance at goal towards the end of the half but could only manage a point. In a somewhat disappointing thirty minutes of football Maghery’s best move of the half came from a Gerard Campbell interception in the backline. Aided by Joe Fox and Stephen McCrory the ball reached Seamus Forker who fired over an excellent shot from distance. The Harps converted another free to leave just a point between the teams at the break.

Half time score: Maghery 0-05, Harps 0-04.

Maghery missed two scoring chances soon after the restart and this gave the Harps, when awarded a free, to bring the sides level for the first time in the match. The Maghery defence continued to work hard with Gerard Campbell, Stephen Cusack and Paul and Kieran Rafferty intercepting the Harps’ attacks.

Maghery’s first score of the second half was their goal. A Kieran Rafferty free found Stefan Forker who crossed the ball to Paul Forker. Forker’s shot was saved by the Harps keeper but he managed to nudge the ball towards substitute David Lavery who made no mistake on the second attempt at goal. Further scores from Maghery’s Seamus and Paul Forker were answered promptly by Harps scores; leaving the home-side’s goal the only difference between the teams.

The Harps scored another from a free to reduce their deficit to two points. In the dying minutes of the game the visitors were awarded a penalty, the conversion of this chance leaving them ahead for the first time in the game. Maghery did have the chance to equalise from a free just before the end but were unable to capitalise on this chance. Unfortunately this saw Maghery just out of time and the lead that they had maintained throughout the entire match had been turned into the narrowest of defeats in the last minute of play.

Final score: Maghery 1-07, Harps 1-08.


© 1997 - 2012 Maghery GFC. All rights reserved.
Site design by www.kevincorr.com